Victor Osimhen has been given the green light to feature in Nigeria’s crucial Africa Cup of Nations semi-final match against South Africa.
Osimhen, who has been instrumental in Nigeria’s journey through the championship, arrived in Bouake, Cote d’Ivoire, where the match will take place.
Despite experiencing abdominal discomfort and being left behind at their hotel in Abidjan initially, Osimhen underwent final tests by the team medics and was deemed fit to play. He joined the team’s training session at the Stade Annexe in Bouake on Tuesday evening, signaling his readiness for the big game.
Osimhen’s presence will undoubtedly bolster Nigeria’s attacking prowess and provide a significant boost to their chances of securing a spot in the AFCON final. With his endless running and magnificent passes, Osimhen has been a key figure for Nigeria in the championship so far.
As the semi-final showdown looms, Nigerian fans can now look forward to seeing Osimhen in action as the Super Eagles aim to continue their quest for AFCON glory.
Meanwhile, Nigeria will be playing in its 16th AFCON semi-final.
Here’s a recap of Nigeria’s performances in the AFCON semi-finals over the years:
- 1976: Nigeria faced Morocco in what could be considered their semi-final match. Despite taking the lead, Nigeria conceded two late goals and finished third in the tournament.
- 1978: Nigeria faced Uganda but suffered a defeat, leading them to the third-place match, which they won after Tunisia abandoned the game.
- 1980: Nigeria defeated Morocco in the semi-finals but lost in the final to Algeria.
- 1984: Nigeria staged a remarkable comeback against Egypt, winning 8-7 on penalties after trailing by two goals.
- 1988: Nigeria drew with Algeria and eventually lost on penalties in a dramatic semi-final encounter.
- 1990: Nigeria defeated Zambia in the semi-finals but lost to Algeria in the final.
- 1992: Nigeria faced Ghana in the semi-finals but was defeated, ultimately finishing third in the tournament.
- 1994: Nigeria drew with Cote d’Ivoire and eventually won on penalties, securing a spot in the final where they emerged victorious.
- 2000: Nigeria defeated South Africa in the semi-finals but lost in the final to Cameroon.
- 2002: Nigeria faced Senegal in the semi-finals but suffered a defeat, finishing third in the tournament.
- 2004: Nigeria drew with Tunisia and eventually lost on penalties in the semi-finals, finishing third in the tournament.
- 2006: Nigeria lost to Ivory Coast in the semi-finals but secured third place in the tournament.
- 2010: Nigeria suffered a defeat to Ghana in the semi-finals but won the third-place match against Algeria.
- 2013: Nigeria defeated Mali in the semi-finals and went on to win the tournament by defeating Burkina Faso in the final.
- 2019: Nigeria lost to Algeria in the semi-finals but secured third place by defeating Tunisia in the third-place match