Who we are
The Athletic NG (Nigeria) (“we”, “us” or “The Athletic NG”) has it’s headquarters in Nigeria. We deliver insightful stories and great analysis of sports stories in Nigeria and Africa that bring sports enthusiast closer to the heart of the game with breaking news to exclusive interviews and every sports story that matters.
The Athletic NG is aiming to have dedicated reporters across the major leagues and tournaments in Nigeria and Africa.
We cover the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), Nigeria National League (NNL), Nationwide League (NLO), Nigeria Women Football League (NWFL), Aiteo Cup, AFCON, FIFA World Cup, European Leagues and much more.
This Privacy Notice explains why we collect information concerning the users of the platforms (each a “user”, “you” or “your”), what type of information we collect and how we use that information. This Privacy Notice applies to any such information collected via any platform which displays it (or a link to it).
What data we collect
When a user interacts with any of the platforms, we may collect certain data about that user. This data falls into 2 broad categories: (i) data about a user themselves, which the user gives us; and (ii) data about the user, or the way a user interacts with the platforms or Services, which is collected by us electronically (collectively “User Information”).
Information you provide to us
There are a number of circumstances in which you may be required or invited to supply us with personal information, such as when you: subscribe to our newsletters and other content; create a log in or register for any of our Services; create a profile; use an interactive feature; interact with our bots or other interactive content; submit content or post a comment; or send us an email, pitch, or request for information.
Your use of Services and interaction with the platforms
We collect the following User Information in accordance with applicable law:
- information that users provide to us, directly or via a third-party registration service for the purpose of registering with us or our group companies;
- a user’s entry details for a competition or promotion;
- information users provide to us when users interact with our customer service team;
- information users provide when users participate in our surveys or marketing promotions;
- information from a user’s social media profile to populate their profile on our platforms, and where the user chooses to register with us using their social media login(s);
- information users provide relating to reviews or ratings, favourite sports, tournaments, teams, events or personalities, and/or other subjects of interest to sports fans;
- information about user interactions with our platforms, and any direct communications the user receives from us (such as emails);
- device IDs or unique identifiers, location data, device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information, statistics on page views, referral URLs, ad data, website and app navigation, IP address and standard web log information;
- the language choices made by users in relation to their use of the Service, which may include information relating to their location when using the Service;
- the details of any third-party digital property (such as a website) that referred or linked a user to the platforms, together with information about how a user interacted with any online and email marketing campaigns related to the Service;
- information and communications on forums on the platforms, including chat rooms and message boards; and
- information about how users behave on our platforms (such as the type of content they view, how frequently, at what times, etc.).
We may also collect personal information from:
- Publicly or commercially available sources: Certain third parties make available
- Information from our affiliates: We may receive information from within our family of affiliated businesses.
How & why we use the data we collect
We use the User Information for three main purposes: (i) to operate and improve the platforms and to ensure that we can provide the Services; (ii) to optimise the content on the platforms and enhance your experience of the Services; and (iii) send marketing and show advertising to our users.
More specifically, we will use the User Information to do one or more of the following things:
- administer our platforms;
- provide the Service requested by the user;
- improve the browsing experience by personalising the Service to the user;
- recommend goods, services or promotions which may be of interest to the user or contact users in order to conduct market research (with the consent of the user, where necessary). For these purposes, we may conduct research on our users’ demographics, interests and behaviour, including performing statistical analysis of our users, their use of the Services, and their purchasing patterns. We do this to optimise and improve the Services, our products, and our operations and we will create a profile about your interests and preferences which will enable us to increase our advertising and communication relevance;
- prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, cheating, and money laundering and enforce our terms;
- to notify users about changes to our Service;
- send out email alerts, text message notifications or device notifications in relation to our Service;
- send users prizes won via the platforms, and supply services purchased via our platforms;
- send notices and invoices to users, and collect payments from them;
- provide third parties with statistical and other information about our users as required to operate the platforms or Services;
- deal with enquiries and complaints;
- provide our commercial partners with information about users’ use of co-branded services, including historical use data;
- comply with any legal or regulatory requirements and otherwise respond to any relevant regulator or competent authority as required by law;
- understand user trends and patterns; and
- develop aggregate analysis in respect of our users and business intelligence that enables us to operate, protect, make informed decisions and report on the performance of our business.
The platforms we operate are designed to attract as many users as possible. In our case, our users are typically sports fans or interested in sports news and other sports-related content. The creation of this content, and the work that goes into ensuring that the platforms continue to be class-leading digital sports destinations, are funded by advertising revenues which we receive as a result of showing users advertising or other sponsored or branded content on the platforms. We have a legitimate interest in ensuring that we deliver this advertising in a responsible way, and in allowing us to deliver it to the users most likely to be interested in it, and in doing so we employ User Information, such as the user’s location, how the user engages with the platforms and the content that the user views.
More specifically, in relation to advertising:
- we employ User Information to select and deliver advertising that appears on our platforms, and to allow third parties (such as ad servers) to do this on our behalf;
- we employ User Information to select and deliver advertising to users based on the way the user has interacted with our platforms, and to share that information with third parties to allow them to do so;
- we may pass User Information to service providers, such as Oracle or Google, to allow them to provide services on our behalf or to partner with us in selecting and serving ads for our advertising partners;
- we may pass User Information to advertisers or third-party publishers to allow us to report on the advertising displayed to our users and how users interacted with it; and
- we will not employ User Information to make qualitative judgments about individual users, nor make automated decisions in relation to users which could have a significant or legal effect on them, nor will we knowingly engage any third party to do so.
Suggested text: When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
On the platforms, we use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies – These cookies are essential to enable the user to navigate around the platform securely and to provide the user with Services they have specifically requested.
- Functionality cookies – These cookies enhance the functionality of the platforms by storing user preferences. For instance, they can remember your name and location, if you provide this information, and the types of content you are interested in.
- Performance cookies – These cookies improve the performance of the platforms. For instance, they help pages load quicker.
- Analytics cookies – We may use third party analytics services such as Google Analytics and others. Your IP address and other information will be collected by automated means to evaluate your use of the platform, compile reports on platform activity, identify user patterns and provide related services. For more information about how Google Analytics uses your information please click here. In addition, authentication and tracking logs will be used to compile user statistics.
- Targeting/advertising – These cookies help us serve relevant advertisements and implement frequency capping procedures, (including interest-based advertising), promotions, and offers, on behalf of ourselves and our third-party advertisers, both on our websites and elsewhere and make other choices related to targeted advertising. We may also use your information to measure and report on the delivery of advertisements.
These types of cookies may also be placed on the platform by our business partners or service providers.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can change your browser settings to prevent that, or opt-out as explained below. You may not be able to take full advantage of the platforms or use certain functions if you disable cookies.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
We may share User Information with any member of The Athletic NG where this is necessary for business administration purposes in accordance with applicable law. We may also allow other members of the The Athletic NG to contact users with relevant offers, competitions and latest news (where they have consented to doing so, if required by applicable laws).
We may also share User Information with selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors in connection with providing Services to our users;
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to the user;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the platforms;
- if we decide to sell the business operating the Service or it is integrated with another business, we may disclose User Information to our advisers and any prospective buyer’s advisers as well as to the new owners of the business;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share a user’s personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms; and
- in order to prevent fraud, cheating and money laundering we may disclose User Information and betting and gaming history to third parties including, but not limited to, any relevant regulator, gaming and sporting bodies, financial institutions and law enforcement agencies or any other body that deals with the investigation of alleged offences.
Where relevant, we will disclose User Information and anonymized information associated with a user’s use of and interaction with the platforms to the partner on whose behalf we operate that platform, for the purposes of marketing and advertising, and to promote their own products and services.
How long we retain your data
We keep your data for only as long as required to provide you with the necessary Services and to carry out the processing set out in this notice, and in line with its obligation under applicable law. This means that we will generally not keep your personal information for longer than six years following your last interaction with us, and the retention period will often be shorter. For example, we may keep your information for marketing purposes for a period of 3 years following the termination or expiry of our relationship, or your last contact with us.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Data subjects may ask us for a copy of their information, to correct it, erase it or to transfer it to other organisations at their request. Data subjects also have rights to object to some processing including profiling and, where we have asked for their consent to process the data subject’s data, to withdraw this consent. In particular, data subjects have the right to object to direct marketing at any time. Where a data subject withdraws their consent, this will not affect the legitimacy of the processing conducted prior to your request. Where we process data because we have a legitimate interest in doing so (as explained above), the data subject has a right to object to this. Where we make a decision based solely on automated processing which significantly affects the data subject, he or she may have the right to contest the decision, express his or her point of view and obtain human intervention.
These rights may be limited in some situations – for example, where we can demonstrate that we have a legal requirement to process your data.
Please use the contact information set out in our Contact page.
We hope that we can satisfy queries you may have about the way we process your data. However, if you have unresolved concerns you also have the right to complain to your local data protection authority.